Who are you? – Bucket Carrier or Pipeline builder???

Shocked?? Don’t worry I was too when I started reading the book called “Parable of a pipeline”. The book is story of two teenagers (Pablo and Bruno) living in a small village in Italy. Both are responsible to fill the village cistern with water from the near by river.

Every day morning they start carrying 2 bucket each to fill the cistern. At the end of a hard days work each is paid 5cents for each bucket. Bruno is very excited as it is his first job and that a decent paying one. With the money he can buy new clothes, shoes and also go out for parties with his friends. Pablo on the other hand is happy that he got a job so that he can sustain but does not want to this for whole of his life. He wants to do much more in his life rather than carry buckets everyday.

While searching for newer methods Pablo thinks of building a pipeline from the river to the village. He knows it would be huge task to do so but he believes that his hard work would pay off.

He shares the plan with Bruno but is shunted away as Bruno does not want to waste his spare time in working even harder. He wants to enjoy his spare time. Pablo does not relent. He alone sets off on the task of building the pipeline. Every day work he would start working on the pipeline for some time. He would devote all of his time for the pipeline on holidays and weekends.

Each time he feels dejected or tired he tells himself to set his eyes on the goal and what kind of life this pipeline would give him. On the other hand Bruno is busy enjoying his life by shopping partying and relaxing.

Slowly and steadily the pipeline begins to take shape inch to feet, feet to yards and yards to meters.

Finally the day comes when Pablo’s pipeline reaches the village. The whole village hails Pablo as the Miracle maker. Pablo charges 5cent for each bucket filled from the pipeline and he does not have to work anymore for this money. Just open the tap and fill the bucket. This money would continue to come even if he is sleeping or physically not present at the pipeline.



Readers who have understood the story would have answered the question till now. I just hope that they would at least think towards making the pipeline of their life.



As for me, I was completely moved by the book and its message. It really made me think am I doing something which would give me financial security in the future. Yes every one tells me that I should get insurance. But in truest sense insurance is security for your family not for you and that you got to die so that the family can use that security.



Every one in this world needs money, time and financial security for a good and successful life. If you be true to yourself and answer, our job always gives us only two of the three. When we just join a job we have money and pretty good amount of time. As we grow in our job we get even better money but still lesser time.

I guess we all know after seeing the recession that no job provides financial security.



This book prompted me to start thinking about my pipeline. When I started to think about it I found many people in the society who were willing to help and guide me. There was always someone who would hold my hand to build the pipeline. If I made a mistake I was not scolded at but was asked to learn from the mistake and move forward. It is this kind of learning environment that I had been searching for a very long time and am happy that I found it at an young age.



As Pablo faced criticism from everyone initially you will also face the same. You will always have a lot of Bruno’s around you trying to pull you down. I just want to say that cling to Pablo as fast as you can. Pipelines require guts. Not to build it but to say no to the distracters during the construction phase. These distracters would be your friends, family or associates. I am not saying they are bad but you are working on something which they probably do not understand so you cannot expect support from them. It is very inportant not to move away from the target. Do you know that if space shuttle moves from its trajectory even by 0.0025 degrees it would land atleast 30,000 kms from the moon. Some of you may feel am exaggerating (may be I am) but I just want to say do not move from your goal of a life of significance for yourself and your family.



Be brave and take a decision today for a better future for yourself and also your generations to come.



Before the I drop the curtains some food for thought



“Wealth is the amount of time you can survive after losing your job”

Comments

Popular Posts