Reservation - The story you wish were true



Disclaimer – I am the worst category in terms of reservation – Category – GENERAL, Sex – MALE. I am not writing this to vent my anger towards the reservation system. I just want to understand whether it serves the purpose it was supposed to as envisioned by Babasaheb Ambedkar.  I have very good friends who are from reserved category and that fact has never created any problems between us. I am not a statistician; numbers quoted are taken from government reports and published reports from renowned publication like WSJ. I duly apologize to all my friends if they are hurt by reading this. It is not meant as a personal attack. I wish our friendship remains as strong as it has been over the years.

2001 was the year which brought me face to face with reservation. I had cleared my 12th and was gearing up for the rounds in VRCE (Now VNIT). That was the first time I heard terms like SC/ST, Girls Quota, Minority Quota, J&K Quota. I had many friends who were classified in one of the above but after this it forced me to look them in another light. They were from well to do families, some of them were way better than me in studies, sports and other extracurricular activities. I just did not fathom the reason why did they get special treatment over me. I would have understood if they had got higher marks than me, but most of the time that was not the case.

During our admission period we had a joke in the family that general category Boys are the most backward class and should be given reservation as there was a girl’s quota too. I used to give reason to the whole process assuming it is helping a certain category of people to come up in life and give them equal opportunity {that’s the line they use to defend reservation sometime other than vote bank of course (OOPS did I give the real reason for reservation)}

During my engg I came to know that the university has a scholarship program for reserved category students. Under this scholarship program the university gives part or full fees back to the student. First time I heard it I was like wow that’s nice – the person who comes from a poor family would be encouraged to study and also his family would not have any problem as it would not put any economic burden. Then the truth dawned on me. As I started to see people who were of the same economic background as I was were getting their fees back. During two years they got more than the fees they paid (WHOA – never knew Nagpur university to be so generous. During our days they were never so generous with marks.)

During those days we used to laugh about it and not think much, but on hindsight it hurt two ways. During those days there were two kinds of seats – Free (12,000 PA) and Payment (47,000 PA).If you score really good marks then you will be eligible for free seat as the marks go down then you need to opt for payment seat if you want a good branch. I had scored 272/300 in the PCM group (93%), some would say it was very good marks but in truth it did not take me anywhere. As a person from reserved category would have got the free seat at much lesser marks than I had. Then later on he must have got the fees also back if he got selected for the scholarship.

What did I do wrong -  all my friends stay in a very comfortable home, their parents also have a similar job as my father had (still has), we drive similar vehicles, we go to the same place to watch movies. Just because I am not part of a particular group I should be left behind. This reminds of the caste system that we learn in history books in school. I think the caste system never left the country. It just got transformed into reservation system. So the systems says that go my boy you have all freedom to pursue your dreams - study hard, get good marks and take admission at the best college in the country. We will not distinguish based on caste and creed, but you will have only 50% of the playing field. So Mr Government, you show me two wings and when I come out of the operation theater I have only one.

Last year the 3rd edition of Aspiring Minds  - National Employability Report Engineering Graduates – 2014 states that only 18.33% graduates are employable. That cuts a very sorry figure for the entire education system of our country (reservation is a part of it. I don’t blame it entirely but when you remove merit for 50% of the seats it forces me to think on those lines).

I am not against reservation. 36% of the upper caste (including all religion) are economically backward and deserve reservation but do not get it based on their caste. Is this fair??
We should not reduce merit in the name of reservation. We should have admission based on pure merit but complete economic help should be given to the deserving candidate based on their family economic condition. Yes this will increase the expense of the government, but that’s the purpose of the govt isn’t it - spend wisely for the welfare of the people.

This will create an environment of competition rather than frustration. Every student will know that he does not have a seat guaranteed because what his caste is, but he is rest assured that the government will take care of the expenses if he qualifies. Without the worry of financial aspects he can prepare and study hard for the best college in the country (invariably the best ones have the highest fees also – most of the time)

I completely understand that this sounds very simple, but problems are better solved with simple solution and best execution rather than a complex solution and mediocre execution. I know this small writing will not solve the problem, but if any political party can move above the vote bank politics and think on improving India then I guess it solves the purpose.

On a lighter note, for all parents rather than changing jobs and increasing salaries, work towards getting a caste certificate and secure your child’s future. This would be the best child plan you can take, and you might not have to pay the premium also for a long time :)

Till the next Post

So Long,
Roll No 15

Comments

Popular Posts