Self Image


Disclaimer:
The whole purpose of the article is not to preach but to share what I have done practically in my life. I am not perfect but yes I am better than what I was. Still not reached my destination but I am on track to reach there.

I had never thought about the two words until recently. It changed the way I see myself. Technically Self-Image means – The way you see yourself or the mental projection you have of yourself.

Please take some time out to think what is your self-image? What do you think about yourself?

Self-Image is affected in various ways
1)      Your behaviour
2)      What you speak about yourself
3)      What others speak about you

Except the last point you can control every way in which your self-image is affected.

1)      Your behaviour
Are you accountable? Do you do what you say and say what you do. Are you honest? Do you believe in integrity?
Please ask these questions to yourself. These are some of the actions that help you feel good about yourself. You feel more confident and sure about yourself. These questions might vary from person to person depending upon his/her value system. But make sure you ask yourself these questions and give unbiased answers. At the end of the exercise you will know what you have to do.

2)      What you speak about yourself
I am lazy. I cannot do that because I am not capable of doing it. I am not good at directions. I am not good talking to people. I am very shy. I am not confident in public speaking.
You might feel that you are speaking the truth when saying these words but that is the sole reason why you are not able to change yourself. The first person who hears these words is YOU and not the person you are talking to. Your subconscious mind listens and gets the affirmation.  As it is told in numerous books that subconscious mind is a machine it will do what you tell it to do.

Next time you speak – Think Again.

But will speaking positive will change everything – NO.
Once you start speaking positive your subconscious mind will drive you to do things that will help you improve. At this point if you don’t put massive action then the whole exercise is futile and your subconscious mind shuts down.

3)      What others speak about you
I agree you will never have total control on this point. This starts when you are kid and absolute no control over what others are saying about you. As kid you might have spilled milk and cousins, friends might have called you clumsy. You might have dropped a catch while playing and friends put names to you. Everything happened in humour. But it happened.
Whatever goes in the mind remains there, it does not come out.  This is the same situation when you grow older. People you interact might change and the scenarios will change. The worst part is that most of the times such things are said by people who are very close to us.

How do we get out this? Something’s that I have done are below

1)      Self-Talk
Make a list of the traits and characteristics that you want as a person with good self-image. Then create gratitude sentences like – Thank you god I am an accountable person. You have to speak what you want as if you already have it. Start speaking it before you sleep and after you get up. Speak with full enthusiasm and confidence.
2)      Read Books and apply
I am not going to elaborate more on this point. I read a PMA (positive mental attitude) book every single day.
3)      Association
Make a list of people whom do you respect and would like to be like them. Check if you could meet them and spend time with them. If not then see what kind of books they read, what kind activities are they involved in. You should find out how they became what they are today. I meet with like-minded people twice a week. I am extremely fortunate to have these people in my life. Those are the two days which keep me sane for the rest of the week.
I will tell you the hardest part in this step. Make a list of people you associate with currently. Check if they are going in the same direction as you are. If yes great if no then you might want to re-think on how much time you would like to spend with them going forward.
You cannot just leave everyone (family, best friends) in that case you have to do Step 1 and 2 very rigorously and with a strong intent.

I have read that everything that you have in life is directly proportional to your self-image. That is a very strong statement right there. It single handed makes self-image one of the leading factors in a person’s success and failure.

Thank you god everyone who read this article has a high self-image.

Do send me your comments and different ways to improve our self-image.

Keep improving.

Comments

Popular Posts