Circle of Life - I

Don’t get me wrong for the title of the post. But lately these are the things which are affecting our day to day lives the most.
You get late for work when all the roads are cordoned off for a politician to pass. It’s the same when a terrorist activity takes place near you (only difference is that this time you are happy u r not allowed to roam outside) and the most funny part (personal view) have you seen people getting beaten up by religious group on new year eve, well I have and its not a pretty sight (trust me on tht).
I am not here writing to discuss what we all hear on the news and in the papers. I am here to start a thought process. How can we common people do something about it? I don’t mean to say government is not doing its part but still I guess we as citizens of India have a responsibility to save it from distress.
First things first people – How many of you have voted after turning 18? You can of course lie to me but I guess the real person you are lying to yourself. That’s the basic need and right which we should fulfill towards our country. Well there is a downside to this too – many people will complain that they are not in their native place when the elections happen. Office, College no holidays are various valid reasons for not casting votes. Do you know in Canada when there is an election it is a holiday and state sponsors the travel for people who are travelling to their native places for voting. Can something like that be done in India? Unlikely due to the sheer population size. Can we have online voting where people can go to any internet cafĂ© and punch their voter id card number and cast their vote.
I know this solution will not cover most of Indian population but I feel it will cover the most important part of the population – the middle class.
Middle class is the portion who follows the rule; pay their taxes on time but still I feel are the most oppressed class.
There is not political party to stand up for our cause they are either pacifying the rich (for money) or supporting the poor (for vote). I only see one reason for this – our low turnout for voting. If we as a middle class prove that we are also a force to reckon with then I guess we can bring some of our demands on the table. I don’t know how many problems we will solve but at least we will have a better chance than what we have right now.
There are genuine problems like when the candidates contesting the election do not share the same ideologies as you do. What should you do? To be frank I have no answer to that. I have voted four times and every time I weighed the candidates on the work done in and around my area. Well that has worked most of the time. Please give ur suggestions in how should we go about it. India is your country as much as it is mine.
Second Part of Circle of Life will come soon.

Comments

Popular Posts